Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises consumers to exercise caution when doing business with Midwest Roofing Commercial & Residential, Inc., and Overland Roof Exchange Inc., of Ozark, Missouri. Consumers reported to BBB that the companies failed to launch projects, failed to communicate with customers, and provided poor customer service.
Midwest Roofing Commercial & Residential, Inc. and Overland Roof Exchange Inc. each have an “F” rating, the lowest on the BBB scale due to several recent unanswered and unresolved customer complaints. The companies share a location at 4173 N. 20e Street in Ozark.
A Springfield, Missouri man told BBB he paid Overland Roof Exchange Inc., $6,000 in March 2021 to replace the roof and some gutters after a storm damaged his home. The man said the company had failed to show up on several launch dates.
“They haven’t done anything for me at all,” he said. The man has requested a refund but has not heard from Overland Roof Exchange Inc.
A woman from Springfield, Missouri, told BBB that she was working on Midwest Roofing Commercial & Residential, Inc. paid just over $2,300 in August 2020 to fix her roof. She said she used an insurance check to pay the company. The woman said the company once came to her home to fix a leak, but she claims it didn’t do the job she paid for.
The woman said she received a number of apologies from Midwest Roofing Commercial & Residential, Inc. as to why it could not complete its work. She said the company had promised her a refund, but she never received it. She said she should hire another company to do the job.
A business owner from Branson, Missouri told BBB that he had acquired Overland Roof Exchange Inc. paid $10,000 in the spring of 2021 as a down payment to repair roofs on four buildings in a business complex he owns. He said he hasn’t heard much from the company since signing a contract. He said he has requested cancellation of the contract and a refund of his deposit. The last time he heard from the company was via a text message in which the company said it regretted the delays in the project.
“Taking people’s money and not providing service is wrong,” said Stephanie Garland, regional director of the Springfield BBB. “If the work isn’t done as promised in a contract, their clients deserve to get their money back.”
According to the Missouri Secretary of State, each of the companies was previously registered to do business in Colorado in May 1996. Midwest Roofing Commercial & Residential, Inc., registered with the State of Missouri in March 2020. Michael Robotham is listed as a director of the company. Overland Roof Exchange registered with the State of Missouri in November 2020. Kimberly Suggs is listed as an officer for the company.
In a note on their respective websites, the companies say they are “not currently taking on any new residential customers and are working diligently to catch up with our current residential customer base.
“Unfortunately, we may have missed communication with some of our customers. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to provide information about our current status. You are welcome to call our main number at any time as we will maintain open communication with all of you.”
BBB offers these tips for hiring a contractor:
- Research each business and its owners carefully before paying any money. View the BBB company profile at BBB.org or call 888-996-3887.
- Ask for references and contact them.
- Before you pay, make sure you have a signed contract stating what work needs to be done, a timetable for completion, and an explanation of what will happen if the business or consumer breaks the contract.
- Ask the contractor for proof that he or she is bound and insured.
- Pay as much as possible with a credit card in case you have to dispute the payment.
- Don’t pay everything in advance. It is a good rule to pay a part when you sign the contract and the final payment only when you are satisfied with the work.
- When the work is completed and the contractor has been paid, request a lien release showing that subcontractors and material suppliers have been paid for the job.
More BBB Tips for Hiring a Reliable Contractor.
Find a roofer near you in the BBB directory.