Smith’s Marketplace evacuated after heating unit causes fire – Cache Valley Daily

Firefighters respond to Smith’s Marketplace in Logan after HVAC unit caught fire, Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021 (Bill Walter)

LOGAN — The Smith’s Marketplace in Logan was evacuated Tuesday evening after a fire broke out in the store’s heating system. The fire was reported at 5:45 PM when smoke was detected in the store at 750 N. Main St.

Logan City Fire Marshal Craig Humphreys said when crews arrived on the scene, they found an HVAC unit engulfed in flames. The heating and cooling unit was located on the roof, in the northwest corner of the store.

“We were able to put out the fire, but there was a lot of smoke throughout the building,” Humphreys explains. “So we conducted an extensive smoke removal operation.”

Firefighters respond to Smith’s Marketplace in Logan after HVAC unit caught fire, Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2021 (Bill Walter)

Firefighters used a ladder truck to spray water on the flames before the crew went up to the roof to confirm it had been extinguished. They reported some damage to the roof structure around the HVAC unit.

Customers and employees were all evacuated while firefighters put out the fire. There were no reports of injuries.

Humphreys said there was some water damage to the store, mainly from the sprinkler system. The first evidence suggests the fire was an accident and started with a faulty component in the HVAC unit.

“We will have the construction department check the structural integrity of the building to make sure it is safe before letting people back in.”

Firefighters temporarily blocked traffic on both 700 and 800 North for several hours while making the building smoke-free.


[email protected]

Free news delivery by email

Want to get the news of the day delivered straight to your inbox every night? Enter your email below to get started!

Comments are closed.