The U.S. solar industry is on the rise, thanks to a presidential administration championing renewables and heightened concerns about climate change. Solar energy world, the leading business-to-business publication in the solar industry, today recognizes the installation success of more than 400 solar companies with the publication of the 2021 Top Solar Contractors list. The Top Solar Contractors list is the most recognized annual list of solar contractors in the United States working in the utility, commercial, and residential markets.
“Even the shutdowns and delays from COVID-19 couldn’t stop the solar industry from installing fantastic numbers last year,” said Kelly Pickerel, editor-in-chief of Solar energy world. “The Solar energy world The team is thrilled to recognize more than 400 companies on the list of Top Solar Contractors 2021 that have not only survived a pandemic, but are still thriving.”
The U.S. solar industry grew 43% in 2020, installing more solar panels on homes, businesses and across the country than any other year on record. The residential market was up 11%, which is remarkable given the difficulties of maneuvering solar home projects through pandemic precautions. The federal government approved a two-year extension to the solar investment tax credit (ITC) at the end of 2020, which will further accelerate the adoption of solar in all market segments. After installing 19.2 GW in 2020, research firm Wood Mackenzie expects the U.S. solar market to quadruple by 2030.
This special 10-year anniversary edition of the Top Solar Contractors list gave the Solar energy world team the chance to reflect on the industry’s incredible growth over the past decade. The magazine features stats and charts highlighting that growth, as well as Q&As with seasoned solar leaders and newcomers transforming businesses with their passion.
“Ten years is an important milestone in the solar community. Many companies that reach the age of 10 are labeled industry veterans,” Pickerel said. “We are honored to continue supporting the growing solar industry in recognizing the solar installers who are enabling that growth. .”
This year also celebrates the inaugural class of Top Solar Champions, an awards program to honor individuals who excel in their work and efforts in the field of solar energy. Four solar professionals took home the very first Top Solar Advocate, Top Solar Installer, Top Solar Designer and Top Solar Changemaker awards. Solar energy world has also awarded two companies the Greenest Contractor and Most Forward-Thinking Contractor. View all 2021 winners here.
Companies on the top solar contractors list are grouped and ranked by specific service (developer, electrical subcontractor, EPC, installation subcontractor, rooftop installer, sales partner), market (commercial, residential, utility), and by 2020 it lists the installed power (in kWDC).
Here are some ways to interact with the list of the best solar contractors of 2021:
Lists of contractors by market:
Lists of contractors by service:
individual Lists of contractors in all 50 states and 3 districts/territories:
Other Interesting Facts About the Top Solar Contractors 2021 List:
- The 2021 Top Solar Contractors class installed solar in all 50 states, Washington, DC, and two US territories: Guam and Puerto Rico.
- 88% of 2021 Top Solar Contractors work in the commercial market, 71% completed residential works in 2020; 38% participated in at least one utility-scale project; and 35% worked on off-grid installations.
- 92% of the top solar contractors of 2021 are installing; 88% are involved in project development or design; 84% complete the sale; 76% perform electrical work; and 33% offer financing.
- The Top 5 headquartered states for 2021 Top Solar Contractors are California, Florida, New York, Arizona, and Colorado.
- A survey sent to all party leaders found that more than half saw no change in employee morale between 2019 and 2021 (due to the pandemic), while 32% said workers are happier today than they were before the pandemic.
- 90% of respondents indicated that their companies integrate energy storage technologies into solar energy projects.
Read our frequently asked questions to learn more about the annual list of the best solar contractors.